SHARE


Philippe Coutinho has been identified as the heir to Andres Iniesta’s throne at Barcelona.

With the window well and truly open, Transfer Talk is monitoring the whispers, gossip and speculation. Check out the latest deals and potential deals here.

TOP STORY: Barca bid €80m for Coutinho

As Andres Iniesta enters the final year of his contract, Barcelona have sought out a replacement. And according to the Mail, Philippe Coutinho has been tabbed as the man to fill the 33-year-old World Cup winner’s boots in the Blaugrana midfield.

Liverpool, however, are expected to reject the Catalan club’s opening bid. With the 25-year-old signing a new deal just last season that keeps him at Anfield through 2022, the Reds are expected to demand at least the £75 million they received when they sold Luis Suarez to Barcelona in 2014.

The Mail writes that Barcelona won’t be deterred by that, however, and seek to make a statement in the transfer market after their (so far) failed pursuit of Marco Verratti and the increasingly likely departure of Neymar.

Martial on his way out of Old Trafford?

Anthony Martial struggled to live up to the standard he set in his first season at Manchester United, and after an inconsistent sophomore campaign, he may find that he won’t get a second chance under Jose Mourinho. The Express reports that the 21-year-old France international may be on the move this summer.

Wolfsburg have enquired about the former Monaco prodigy’s availability, though that offer is not likely to be entertained, the Express reports, citing German outlet Kicker.

After an underwhelming second season at Manchester United, could Anthony Martial be on the move this summer?

However, with Mourinho refusing to give up in his chase for Ivan Perisic and Inter similarly stubborn over their £50m valuation, it’s said that the inclusion of Martial could get the deal over the line.

Spurs stalking Mahrez

Leicester manager Craig Shakespeare insists no bids have been made for Riyad Mahrez, who has announced he wants to leave the Foxes.

Tottenham are playing the waiting game when it comes to Leicester City talisman Riyad Mahrez.

The Standard reports that Spurs have asked to be kept informed of the 26-year-old’s position with the Foxes, and are ready to pounce if any movement is made.

One sticking point appears to be Leicester’s £50m asking price for the former Premier League Player of the Year. The paper says that Tottenham will require that amount to significantly drop before they seriously consider launching a bid.

As always, Spurs are keeping their cards close to their chest. This move has deadline-day deal written all over it.

Monaco place £50m tag on Mendy

Manchester City will need to up their bid by another £5.5m if they are to land Monaco left-back Benjamin Mendy.

After Manchester City’s latest bid for Benjamin Mendy was rejected, Monaco have named their price for the left-back.

Multiple reports suggested on Thursday that the principality club had rejected an initial £44.5m offer from City, but the Independent says Monaco are holding out for a cool £50m.

Pep Guardiola has already signed England international Kyle Walker from Tottenham this summer, and has also been linked with Real Madrid outcast Danilo.

Mendy, though, remains the Manchester City manager’s primary target — and Monaco know it!

Tap-ins

— Arsenal are close to signing Mesut Ozil to a new contract, according to the Mail. The 28-year-old is in the final year of his deal, and while he was holding out for wages of £350,000 a week, the German World Cup winner has struggled to generate any interest in his signature and is considering the Gunners’ £280,000-a-week offer.

— Inter are becoming “more and more convinced” that they’ll get a deal done for Santos playmaker and Brazil international Lucas Lima before the summer window closes, Gianluca Di Marzio reports.

— Contract talks have broken down between Manchester City and 17-year-old academy phenom Jadon Sancho. The Independent reports that he sees his path to the first team blocked at the Etihad, and Arsenal and Tottenham are prepared to swoop.


LEAVE A REPLY