Highlights: Peru 2-0 Scotland

Goalkeeper Jordan Archer endured a difficult debut as Scotland conceded two goals either side of half-time against Peru.

The Millwall goalkeeper rushed from his line and left his goal exposed moments before Scott McKenna blocked a shot with his hand.

Christian Cueva converted the spot-kick for the World Cup-bound Peruvians.

Jefferson Farfan added the second after the interval, his shot slipping beneath Archer’s hand.

The goalkeeper was one of four new caps in the starting line-up, alongside Stephen O’Donnell, Lewis Stevenson and Dylan McGeouch.

A further three – Graeme Shinnie, Lewis Morgan and Chris Cadden – made debuts off the bench, and the inexperience told as Peru upped the tempo and the pressure to secure both their goals from defensive errors.

Kilmarnock full-back Stephen O’Donnell was one of four debutants in the starting line up against Peru

Alex McLeish would consider both of the goals that his side conceded as avoidable, which may provide the Scotland manager with some solace, as otherwise the visitors were not outclassed, although they were clearly second best.

McGeouch and Morgan, who came on midway through the second period, were the most assured of the debutants, but none of the outfield players did their chances of further caps any harm.

Peru, by contrast to a Scotland starting XI that had 59 caps between them, boasted experience in droves, with more than 500 international appearances as a collective.

With a boisterous, if not hostile, home crowd behind them, they initially caused the inexperienced Scottish defence some disquiet, with their slick, sharp passing and movement.

But the visitors quickly settled into the game, finding their own rhythm, with Stevenson and O’Donnell, the debutant full-backs, looking composed in possession on either flank.

Peru’s Christian Cueva opened the scoring against Scotland from the penalty spot

Indeed, before the opening goal, Archer had coped well in turning a Cueva free kick round the post and otherwise had only a tame Farfan shot to deal with.

But just as it looked as though Scotland might see out the first half on level terms, the goalkeeper was rash in trying to deal with a long ball down the Peruvian left channel.

He clattered into Charlie Mulgrew, who appeared to have the situation under control, allowing Farfan a sight of goal that was ultimately blocked by the elbow of McKenna.

It was a clear penalty and was comfortably despatched by the lively Cueva.

Archer might have been further demoralised a few minutes later after allowing a long-range Andre Carrillo shot to come off his chest, but O’Donnell’s challenge denied Cueva a second from the rebound.

Hibernian midfielder Dylan McGeouch was an assured performer on his Scotland debut

Scotland had been unable to trouble Jose Carvallo in the Peru goal, but had given a reasonable account of themselves in the opening period, with Scott McTominay a commanding presence in the centre of the park.

But they were undone defensively once more before the second half was two minutes old.

Edison Flores was allowed two opportunities to pull the ball back to a teammate from the left and when he found Farfan, the striker’s shot somehow found its way underneath the beleaguered Archer grasp.

Scotland battled manfully to avoid a more embarrassing scoreline, remaining organised as Peru probed. It was a testing 90 minutes for the Scots, but given the circumstances they emerged with their dignity intact.

Peru now set off for Europe – first for a game against Saudi Arabia in Switzerland on Sunday before a final warm-up match against Sweden in Gothenburg. Then it’s on to Russia and their first World Cup appearance in 36 years against Denmark.

For Scotland, Mexico and another friendly beckons.